Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Work Baby Shower

Yesterday my work threw a baby shower for me and Liz (the other girl at work who's due about two weeks after I am). The girls put so much work into it and it turned out really nice. We had quite a few people show up. We were each given advice cards from the folks who attended. They were all good. Here are some of them:

* "You can't mess him up, he will just be what he it - perfect. Babies are tougher than you think. Never be afraid to ask for help. Put your marriage first. Listen to your instincts. Newborns can travel! Keep your sense of humor. You will be a great mom!"

* "Americans spend the first year teaching children to walk and talk. But they spend the rest of childhood telling them to sit and shut up. So get out of their way and let them be curious. Give him a little brother/sister."

* "Put each other first in your marriage and everything else will follow. You both are terrific people and will make kind, loving, fun parents."

* So excited for you. Best advice is to be firm and loving and consistency is key. Show him lots of love, because boys need to know feelings are okay. And don't neglect yourself or Justin. You need to take care of yourself and your marriage. Can't wait to meet baby Gill!

* Boys run into things. Boys break things. Boys make noise; Babies cry. It's OK they'll do it again tomorrow too. Boys DO need hugs too. Make sure he always respects his mommy (and dad). Make sure you and dad get alone time at least once a week. Make a plan/schedule but be flexible. Life foes not always cooperate. Show your son how much you and daddy love and respect each other. Enjoy one of life's greatest adventures.

*Read the label on diapers. Do not exceed the rated capacity: 10 - 15 lbs is the absolute limit!

Also on the advice card was a calendar for people to guess when they thought the baby was going to be born. My actual due date is marked, so they all went off of that. I think only two people marked me down as delivering early. Everyone else put me down to deliver about a week late. That better not be true. I don't think I'll make it that long!




Card boxes advice cards were put into. Liz is having a girl, her box is the pink one.


I also had my acupuncture appointment last night. I don't know if it helped, but it was definitely an experience. I had needles put into my back, knee, top of my head, and right above my eyebrow. I was instructed to lay there for 20 minutes with the needles in. It didn't hurt, it was just a bit awkward. I did get used to it after a while. I didn't really notice a difference, but the gal said you have to keep coming back to see a difference. Last night was the first night I really lost a lot of sleep due to back pain. I'm hoping it was a coincidence and not because of the acupuncture. I do plan to go back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment