Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Welcome!

I am 16 weeks today and decided to create a blog to keep family and friends updated. I do a video blog once a week, but it's a little more personal and I don't want to share it on the internet. Some of my family and friends have been asking about updates and I've been hesitant to put too many of them on facebook because I don't want to annoy anyone with "baby overload". I have learned it can be a very sensitive subject for some and would like to be respectful.

Coming up with the name for the blog...
I wanted it to be something light hearted and funny. Justin and I were brain storming on different ideas and nothing was tickling my fancy. One of my thoughts was "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant", but that wasn't going over too well. I told Justin I wanted something that had to do with my body, after all, this little guy or gal is taking up residence. He suggested something roommate/renter related. I thought, Perfect!! Wombmate! You know, like roommate? I mean he/she is taking up residence in my personal space and using my resources. I'm definitely not complaining, just thought it was a humorous comparison. Overall, this pregnancy has been nothing but easy so I really don't have any complaints. I'm very much looking forward to meeting our little guy or gal. :)

How this pregnancy came about (besides the obvious):
January of last year (2012) Justin and I had said we would start "trying" for kids at the end of 2012. We casually talked about it on and off in the following months and really started talking about it at the end of summer. In September we realized that there really is "no right time" to start a family (just as everyone has told us all along) so now is as good of time as any. We figured we would start getting used to the idea and come October we wouldn't be as "safe" anymore. Well, by Halloween I was pregnant! Here's how I found out...

We went to a Halloween party on Saturday, October 27th. Sunday morning I didn't feel well. I wasn't throwing up, I just felt really weak and tired. This lasted through Monday. Monday night Justin was leaving to head to his dad's for a couple days. He had to work out in Riverside throughout the week so it made sense for him to stay closer to work. Before he left we were laying on the couch and out of nowhere he asks, "are you pregnant". I honestly didn't think I was so I said, "No, what makes you ask that". He said, "nothing, I was just messing around". Well after he left I started to give it more thought and figured it was definitely a possiblilty. I went to CVS and picked up a pregnancy test. I knew I wasn't supposed to start my period for a few days, but the tests are so dang accurate nowadays that I figured why not just check. I took the test and two lines popped up (signifying pregnant). However, the second line was so light that I had to hold it up and carefully examine it under the light in order to see anything. I decided I'd wait a couple more days, after all this could be a fluke. Wednesday morning, Halloween, I decided to take a second test. Justin wasn't coming home until that night and this is definitely something I'd want to tell him in person, not over the phone. I took the test and the two lines were darker than ever. I had a positive read. I contemplated all day on how I was going to tell him. He's been doing a lot of stand up comedy and every month he makes a youtube video recapping the month so I knew I wanted to do something that would fit into his style. I decided to make a short video (not revealing until the end of course that I was pregnant).
He came home really late and I asked him to watch my video. That I had made an October video since he hadn't made his yet. He sat down to watch it and was laughing on and off until it got to the end. I told him that I took a test and it came back positive. He was no longer laughing. He looked over at me and said, "Is this true"? I said, "yep" and that was pretty much it. Well, not everything. I asked him if he needed some time to process this and he said no, he was fine. I went to bed shortly after. The next morning I woke to find he had fallen asleep on the couch. There was an empty bottle of wine next to him and he was snoring up a storm. I just giggled to myself. I went to walk out the front door after kissing him goodbye and saw there was a full page typed note taped to the door. It was really sweet. The gist of it was, we are in this together and everything will be just fine. He'll be there to help 50/50 and this is a team effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment