Tuesday, January 29, 2013

16 Weeks!

Photo: 16 Weeks 3 Days


16 week update: I've still only gained 4 pounds. I'm not bragging, I'm actually slightly disappointed. I was told I would start gaining an additional pound a week once I hit the second trimester. The only thing I can think of on why I'm not gaining weight is I'm losing muscle mass, which is why I'm disappointed. My hips and stomach have grown a bit so I know there are definitely other changes going on. Most of my pants also don't fit so it's not like I'm hanging out in my old body. It might sound crazy but I can't wait for my stomach to poke out so people can actually tell I'm pregnant, and not just getting fat ;)
I went to Kaiser this morning to have my blood drawn for the second trimester screening. They check for:
  • open neural tube defects (ONTD) such as spina bifida
  • Down syndrome
  • other chromosomal abnormalities
  • defects in the abdominal wall of the fetus
  • twins - more than one fetus is making the protein (I know we are only having one).
  • a miscalculated due date, as the levels vary throughout pregnancy
  • hCG - human chorionic gonadotropin hormone (a hormone produced by the placenta)
  • estriol - a hormone produced by the placenta
  • inhibin - a hormone produced by the placenta

  • I pray every day that this baby will be strong and healthy. I try very hard not to worry about any of the above as I know this is all in God's hands.

    How my baby's growing:
    Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, my baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His/her legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

    1 comment:

    1. Anonymous2/15/2013

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      ReplyDelete